Virtual Business Challenge – Knowledge Matters Partner Competition
BPA is pleased to partner with Knowledge Matters, sponsor of the ninth annual BPA Virtual Business Challenge (VBC)! This cloud-based event which provides flexibility for high school BPA members (teams of one to three members) to compete for scholarship money from wherever they have internet access.
The VBC event consists of two tracks, Accounting and Entrepreneurship. The event is based on the full curriculum versions of the Virtual Business Accounting and Entrepreneurship classroom simulations. BPA members are eligible to compete in one or both tracks.
- Entrepreneurship—Participants will spot opportunities, conduct market research, and open their business. They will raise finances, build a team, acquire resources, organize workflow, determine risks, develop marketing strategies, and more.
- Accounting—Participants will test their accounting skills while managing their own service business. Participants will analyze source documents such as bank statements, pay records, and time sheets, as well as accounting documents such as T Accounts, the general ledger, and worksheets to make sound business decisions. They will strategically set service prices and wage rates, rearrange the production floor, and buy advertising.
IMPORTANT DATES – 2023
- January 17 (10 a.m. Eastern Time) – Team registration begins
- January 31 (10 a.m. Eastern Time) – Competition begins
- February 24 (5 p.m. Eastern Time) – Competition concludes
Since the event is based on the classroom versions of the Virtual Business Accounting and Entrepreneurship simulations, students who already have online Virtual Business accounts do not need to register for new accounts. They will, however, need to register for the competition and create new VBC teams.
Advisor Accounts: Advisors will need to log in to approve teams registered under their chapter. Your advisor account has already been created but will not be accessible until the first day of registration (January 17). To access your advisor account, visit https://vb.knowledgematters.com/ and use the following log-in credentials:
- Email: Use the email address to which this email was sent.*
- Password: vbcpass (Note: Please change your password as soon as you log in.)
*Note: If you already have an online Virtual Business account affiliated with the email address to which this email was been sent, please continue to use the same log-in information.
The first through third place nationally ranked teams will win the following awards. Cash prizes will be distributed at the National Leadership Conference.
- 1st Place: $1,000/team
- 2nd Place: $750/team
- 3rd Place: $500/team
For more details and rules regarding the BPA VBC, please visit https://knowledgematters.com/highschool/competitions/bpa/. If you have questions regarding the competition, email Support@KnowledgeMatters.com.
During the event, you are invited to follow the Knowledge Matters Facebook or Twitter account. Don’t let your chapter members miss out on their opportunity to compete for a chance to win. Have fun, and good luck to your chapter!